- The Afghan National Institute of Music and Metallica of US have been announced the joint winners of Swedish Polar Music Award 2018, dubbed as Nobel Prize of Music.
- Bot the winners will each receive one million Swedish kronor (101,000 euros, $125,000) at a in Stockholm on June 14 in the presence of King Carl XVI Gustaf.
- Afghan National Institute of Music: The Afghan National Institute of Music would be honoured along with its founder, Ahmad Sarmast, who started the school in 2010. The institute helped generate the country’s first all-female orchestra. It supports orphans, children who work in the street and young girls by training them as musicians and singers.
- Metallica: It is one of the most influential bands in heavy metal, helping bring the angry and aggressive music to the mainstream and preserving an avid fan base for decades.
About the Polar Music Prize
- The Polar Music Prize was established in 1989 by the late Stig Anderson.
- The prize is given to break down musical boundaries by bringing together people from all the different worlds of music.”
- The prize is annually given to one contemporary musician and one classical musician