What: Baba Kalyani Committee
Why: To study SEZ policy
When: June 6, 2018
- The Central Government has constituted a group of eminent persons under the chairmanship of Baba Kalyani to study the Special Economic Zones (SEZ) Policy of India. Baba Kalyani is the chairman of Bharat Forge group.
- The 13 member (including chairman) group will evaluate the SEZ policy, suggest measures to cater to the needs of exporters in the present economic scenario and make the SEZ policy WTO compatible, suggest course correction in SEZ policy, make comparative analysis of the SEZ scheme and dovetail the SEZ policy with other similar schemes.
- Other member of group are; Shri Ravindra Sannareddy, Shri Neel Raheja, Shri ArunMisra, Ms. Anita Arjundas, Shri Ajay Pandey, Shri SrikanthBadiga and Principal Secretaries (Industries) of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu & Karnataka.
- The SEZ Policy was implemented from April 1, 2000. Subsequently the Special Economic Zones Act, 2005 was passed by Parliament in May, 2005 and received Presidential assent on the June 23, 2005 and the Special Economic ZoneAct was enacted.
- The SEZ Act, 2005, supported by SEZ Rules, came into effect on February 10, 2006.