What: Earth Hour
When: March 24, 2018
- Earth Hour was observed from 8:30 to 9:30 PM on March 24, 2018.
- This year, WWF-India launched the “Give Up to Give Back” initiative to inspire organisations, institutions and individuals to make the choice to curb some habits, practices and lifestyles that burden lives and environment. The campaign includes taking steps like giving up single-use plastics, fossil fuels and e-waste among others.
About Earth Hour
- Earth Hour is the world’s largest grassroots movement for the environment where people around the globe unite to take a stand against climate change by turning off non-essential lights for one hour.
- It was started as a symbolic lights out event in Sydney in 2007. But now Earth Hour is the world’s largest grassroots movement for the environment, inspiring millions of people to take action for our planet and nature.
- It is a global initiative of the World Wide Fund for Nature India or WWF-India.
- On this occasion the whole world resolves to contribute towards energy conservation.