What: Executive Committee
Why: To commemorate 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi
Who: Prime Minister
- An Executive Committee (EC) under the Chairpersonship of Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has been constituted to commemorate 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi. This committee comprises Senior Ministers in the Cabinet, Leader of opposition (Rajya Sabha), Renowned Gandhians, Social Activists and noted public figures.
- A National Committee (NC) under the Chairmanship of the President of India has been constituted for this purpose and the first meeting of the National Committee was held on 2nd May 2018 at Rashtrapati Bhawan in New Delhi for commemoration of the event on 2nd October 2019. In this meeting it was decided to constitute an Executive Committee.
- The Mandate of the Executive Committee is to consider policies and lay down guidelines for the commemoration of 150th birth anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi and to chalk out the plan, programmes and activities under the commemoration.
- The objective of the commemoration is to spread Gandhiji’s legacy amongst the people at the national and international level.
- The National Committee has a total of 125 members, of which 116 are from India. The others are acclaimed foreign members. The latest addition to the list of foreign members is Shri A. T. Ariyaratne, Founder and President of Sarvodaya Shramdana Movement in Sri Lanka.