Productivity: 11516 fruits per hectare
Export: Rs 1602.38 crore
Import: Rs 259.70 crore
- According to the Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, India has now become the leading country in coconut production and productivity.
- Productivity increased to 11516 fruits per hectare in 2017-18 as compared to 10122 in 2013-14.
- Between 2014 and 2018, 13,117 hectare was brought under new plantation as compared to 9,561 hectare during 2010-2014.
- Owing to an increase in production of coconut, India has been exporting coconut oil to Malaysia, Indonesia and Sri Lanka since April 2017. Till March 2017, India was importing coconut oil.
- Also, for the first time India has been exporting dry coconut in large quantities to the U.S and European countries.
- In 2017-18, India exported coconut worth Rs 1602.38 crore while imports stood at Rs 259.70 crore.
Area under coconut
- In coconut producing states, 62403 hectares have been brought under scientific coconut farming methods as compared to 36477 hectare in 2010-14.
- It is noteworthy that coconut cultivation has spread in new areas. In various states, 13117 hectare new area was brought under coconut cultivation till 2014-18 which was only 9561 hectare in 2010-14.
- In 2014-18, 5115 coconut production committees, 430 Coconut Growers’ Federation and 67 coconut producing companies have been constituted which in 2010-14 was 4467, 305 and 15 respectively.
- Income from export of coconut
- The income from export of coconut products stands at Rs 6448 crore during 2014-18 as against Rs 3975 crore in 2004-2014.
Friends of Coconut Tree
- Under the skill development program for coconut sector ‘Friends of Coconut Tree’, 33228 unemployed youths have been trained as compared to 27770 in 2004-14.