What: International Day for Biodiversity
When: May 22
Theme: Celebrating 25 years of action on biodiversity
- The International Day for Biodiversity (IBD) 2018 was celebrated all over the country on May 22, 2018.
- The theme of the IBD 2018 was “Celebrating 25 years of action on biodiversity”.
- The celebration of the IDB under above theme – provides an opportunity to raise awareness about the importance of and threats to biodiversity, while highlighting its contribution to sustainable development.
- This year’s theme highlights 25 years of coming into force of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
- In india the national-level celebrations were held at Prof. Jayashankar Telangana State Agricultural University (PJTSAU) Auditorium in Hyderabad.
- The IBD 2018 celebrations have been organised by the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, in coordination with National Biodiversity Authority (NBA) and Telangana State Biodiversity Board.
About International Day for Biological Diversity
- The United Nations has proclaimed May 22 The International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
- When first created by the Second Committee of the UN General Assembly in late 1993, 29 December (the date of entry into force of the Convention of Biological Diversity), was designated The International Day for Biological Diversity.
- In December 2000, the UN General Assembly adopted 22 May as IDB, to commemorate the adoption of the text of the Convention on 22 May 1992 by the Nairobi Final Act of the Conference for the Adoption of the Agreed Text of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
- This was partly done because it was difficult for many countries to plan and carry out suitable celebrations for the date of 29 December, given the number of holidays that coincide around that time of year.