- Union Ministry of Women and Child Development was conferred with the SKOCH ‘Best performing Social Sector Ministry’. The ministry was awarded in delivering the promises made and for its significant achievements and initiatives from the last 4 years. The Women and Child Development Smt.Maneka Sanjay Gandhi received the award on behalf of the Ministry in an event held in New Delhi on June 22. 2018.
- As per the Union Minister, under the leadership of the Prime Minister, flagship schemes like Beti Bachao Beti Padhao has achieved huge success within a very short period of time. Under this scheme, efforts were made at National, regional and local level which led to behaviour change which is reflecting in the improved sex ration at birth.
- The Minister further shared the details on the achievements of the Ministry including 6 months maternity leave, Sexual Harassment at Work Place Act, SHe-box, One stop centres, Universal Women help line (181), 33 per cent reservation in police. The Minister also mentioned that a special division has been set up recently by Ministry of Home Affairs for women related issues, on the request of WCD Ministry.
- Stressing that forensic analysis plays a critical role in nabbing the culprits in sexual assault cases, the Minister has said that earlier this month, foundation of Sakhi Suraksha Advanced DNA Forensic Laboratory was laid in Chandigarh and added that 5 more advanced forensic labs would come up in Guwahati, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Pune and Bhopal.
- The Minister also said that special forensic kits for rape cases will be provided to all police stations and hospitals.The funds for these kits will be provided from Nirbhaya Fund.
- Order-of Merit Award: Arunachal Pradesh bagged the ‘SKOCH Order-of Merit’ Award for the Measles-Rubella Vaccination campaign and also for the Chief Minister’s Free Cancer Chemotherapy Scheme being implemented in the state.
About SKOCH Award
- SKOCH award is presented by Skoch Group which is a think tank dealing with socio-economic issues with a focus on inclusive growth since 1997. As per the Skoch Group, it has instituted India’s highest independent civilian honours in the field of governance, finance, technology, economics and social sector.