Who: President Ram Nath Kovind
Where: Mauritius and Madagascar
When: 11-15 March 2018
- President Ram Nath Kovind was on five-days official visit of Mauritius and Madagascar from 11-15 March, 2018.
- During his stay in Port Louis, he was the Chief Guest at 50th year celebration of Mauritian Independence Day.
- President inaugurated World Hindi Secretariat and laid foundation stone of an ENT hospital in Port Louis . Both the centers are fully financed by India. All these projects are funded by the Government of India under a Special Economic Package.
- He also witnessed exchange of agreements in the field of health, education, culture and civil services.
- India also announced a Line of Credit of 100 million dollars for defence procurement to help Mauritus’s security capacity.
- India also agreed to sell a Multi Purpose Offshore Petrol Vessel to the island nation.
Madagascar (14-15 March 2018)
- The visit of the President Ram Nath Kovind to Madagascar, from March 14-15, was the first ever visit by an Indian VVIP to the island nation.
- In Madagascar, agreements and MoUs were signed in his presence in the fields of defence and air services.
- Mr Kovind inaugurated the Center for Geo-informatics Application in Rural Development which is fully financed by India.
- The President with his Madagascar counterpart co-chaired a Business Forum where he urged the enterpenures to become partners in India’ fast growth trajectory and help develop Madagascar.
- President Kovind was decorated with the Star Cross the highest civilian honour given to a foreign dignitary.