What: 12th Paralympic Winter Games 2018
When: 9-18 March
Where: Pyeongchang (South Korea)
- The 12th Paralympic Winter Games 2018 concluded in PyeongChang on March 18, 2018.
- The 10-day competition was held between 9-18 March in PyeongChang, some 180 kilometres east of Seoul, along with the sub-host cities of Gangneung and Jeongseon.
- The first time that South Korea hosted the Winter Paralympics. Although it was the second Paralympics held in the country, after the 1988 Summer Paralympics in Seoul.
- The Paralympic hosted 567 athletes from 49 countries – both records for Winter Paralympics.
- The athletes vied for 80 gold medals, also a record for the multi-winter sports event for the disabled.
- With 13 Gold Medals United States of America topped the medal tally.
- The closing ceremony at PyeongChang Olympic Stadium, was titled “We Move the World.
- The Paralympic Flame was extinguished at the end of a dance performance called “Dosalpuri,” a dance of affections and memories, on the stage on which the flame was projection-mapped.
- Whang Youn Dai Achievement Award: During the ceremony, New Zealand’s para-alpine skier Adam Hall and Finland’s para-Nordic skier Sini Pyy were honoured with the Whang Youn Dai Achievement Award.
- Winter Paralympics in 2022: The Paralympic flag was handed over to Beijing, the next host of the Winter Paralympics in 2022.
Country G S B Total
USA 13 15 8 36
NPA 8 10 6 24
Canada 8 4 16 28
France 7 8 15 20