What: Samarth scheme meeting
When: 14 May 2018
Why: concens of stakeholders
- Union Minister of Textiles, Smt Smriti Zubin Irani on May 14, 2018 chaired the meeting of stakeholders on Samarth – Scheme for Capacity Building in Textile Sector under the Skill India Mission was held in New Delhi.
- The meeting was held to familiarize the stakeholders about the scheme and its guidelines.
- In the meeting the concerns of the stakeholders and challenges faced by them during implementation of the previous scheme were discussed in the meeting.
- Feedback from the concerned stakeholders on how the scheme can contribute and benefit the textile industry and boost skill development in the respective sector was also discussed.
- The SAMARTH scheme was approved by the Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs on December 20, 2017.
- The broad objective of the new scheme is to skill the youth for gainful and sustainable employment in the textile sector covering the entire value chain of textiles, excluding spinning and weaving.
- It is intended to provide demand driven, placement oriented National Skills Qualifications Framework (NSQF) compliant skilling programmes to incentivize and supplement the efforts of the industry in creating jobs in the textiles sectors.
- The scheme targets to train 10 lakh persons (9 lakh in organised and 1 lakh in traditional sector) over a period of 3 years (2017-20), with an outlay of Rs. 1300 crore.
- The guidelines of the scheme were released on 23rd of April 2018.