What: Statistics Day
When: June 29
Why: In recognition of the contributions made by P.C. Mahalanobis
- Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation and Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) are having a joint event on 29 June, 2018 at Kolkata to celebrate the Statistics Day and the closing ceremony of the 125th birth of Prof. P. C. Mahalanobis.
- On the occasion, Vice President of India will release a commemorative coin of Rs 125 and circulation coin of Rs 5 denomination as a mark of respect/homage to Prof. Mahalanobis. The winners of Prof. P.V. Sukhatme Award 2018 and Prof. C.R. Rao Award 2017, will also be felicitated for their notable contribution in the field of Statistics.
Theme for Statistics Day 2018
- The theme selected for the Statistics Day this year is ‘‘Quality Assurance in Official Statistics’. The theme has been chosen to underscore the importance of compliance with essential parameters of quality in statistical systems and products.
About Statistics Day
- In recognition of the notable contributions made by Late Professor Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis in the fields of statistics, statistical system and economic planning, Government of India in 2007, has designated June 29 as the “Statistics Day” in the category of Special Days to be celebrated every year at the National level.
- June 29, 2017 marked the beginning of the 125th year of birth of Prof. P.C. Mahalanobis.
Objective of celebration
- The objective of celebration of this Day is to create public awareness about the importance of statistics in socio-economic planning and policy formulation, to acknowledge the contribution of Prof. Mahalanobis, and to pay homage to him.
- The Indian Statistical Institute (ISI) at Kolkata, set up by Prof. Mahalanobis in 1931, and was declared an autonomous “Institute of National Importance” through an act of Parliament in 1959, celebrates 29 June as the “Worker Day”.