What: World Consumer Rights Day
When: March 15
Why: To raise awareness about consumer rights
World Consumer Rights Day is being celebrated on March 15 .
- Theme: Theme of this year’s World Consumer Rights Day is ‘Making Digital Marketplaces Fairer’.
About the World Consumer Rights Day
- On this day in 1962, US President John F Kennedy formally addressed the issue of consumer rights in US Congress.
- He was the first world leader to do so, and the consumer movement now marks that date every year as a means of raising global awareness about consumer rights.
- The first World Consumer Rights Day was observed in 1983 and has since become an important occasion for mobilising citizen action.
- This day is an opportunity to promote basic rights of all consumers, demanding that those rights are respected and protected. It also gives people a chance to protest against the market abuses and social injustices.
- In India the World Consumer Rights Day is celebrated on March 15 whereas the National Consumer Day is celebrated on 24th of December every year.