- The Union Cabinet on February 7, 2018 has given its approval for signing of Memorandum of Understanding for Secondment Programme between the Department of Economic Affairs (Indian Economic Service Cadre) and The Treasury, Government of Australia, for a period of three months.
- Under the Secondment Programme, one officer from the Australian Treasury shall be seconded to the Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance and one officer from the IES (at Deputy Secretary/Director level) to be nominated by the IES Cadre, Department of Economic Affairs, shall be seconded to the Australian Treasury, Government of Australia, for a period of three months, beginning 15.1.2018 or later.
- The validity of both the MoUs will terminate at the end of the three months’ period of assignment and the same will not be extendable. The programme may be repeated in subsequent years with mutual consultation and after agreement on both sides.
- Impact: This Programme will help to deepen the understanding of current economic policy issues in both countries and also explore further opportunities for future collaboration and engagement.
- The Programme would also provide the seconded officers with valuable and unique development opportunities and also provide exposure on global best practices.
What is Secondment Programme?
- The term ‘secondment’ is used where an employee or a group of employees is assigned on a temporary basis to work for another, ‘host’ organisation, or a different part of their employer’s organisation or different countries. On expiry of the secondment agreement term, the the secondee employee return to their original employer.