The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the plenary session of the 15th edition of Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas at Deendayal Hastkala Sankul in Varanasi on January 22, 2019.
- Speaking on the occasion, the Prime Minister said that NRIs can play a great role in start up, stand up and in Defence manufacturing sector while working for the development of India. He called upon Indian diaspora to play a greater role in the development of the land of their forefathers.
- Mr Modi added that the Government is going to start Pravasi Teerth Darshan Yojna.
- Chief Guest of PBD -2019, Mauritius PM, PravindJugnauth invoked the memories of Indian diaspora and their connect with the land of their forefathers.
About Pravasi Bharatiya Diwas
- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) is celebrated once in every two years to strengthen the engagement of the overseas Indian community with the Government of India and reconnect them with their roots.
- During the Convention, selected overseas Indians are also honored with the prestigious Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award to recognize their contributions to various fields both in India and abroad.
- The 15th PBD Convention is being held on 21-23 January 2019 in Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh.
- The theme of PBD Convention 2019 is “Role of Indian Diaspora in building New India”.