The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) as announced to honour Prime Minister Narendra Modi and French President Emmanuel Macron for this year’s “Champions of the Earth” award. It is UN’s highest environmental honour.
- Both have been selected in the “Policy Leadership” category for their pioneering work in championing the International Solar Alliance and promoting new areas of levels of cooperation on environmental action.
- According to the UNEP. ‘UN Environment is recognizing Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi for his bold environmental leadership on the global stage. Under Modi’s leadership, India pledged to eliminate all single-use plastics in the country by 2022. Prime Minister Modi also supports and champions the International Solar Alliance, a global partnership to scale up solar energy.’
Cochin International Airport
- Cochin International Airport was awarded in the Entrepreneurial Vision category.
- Cochin International Airport is the world’s first solar power airport. Its entire operations are powered by solar energy.
- Cochin International Airport became the world’s first fully solar powered airport in 2015 – a project pioneered by Managing Director Vattavayalil Joseph Kurian.
Champions of the Earth:
- Champions of the Earth, the UN’s highest environmental honour, celebrates outstanding figures from the public and private sectors and from civil society whose actions have had a transformative positive impact on the environment.
- It was in launched in 2005 and has recognized dozens of exemplary individuals and organizations.
- Through their extraordinary achievements – whether through political leadership, grassroots action, scientific innovation, or entrepreneurial vision – each of these Champions has inspired critical action on behalf of the global environment.
- Champions of the Earth recognizes laureates in the following categories:
- Lifetime Achievement
- Policy Leadership
- Action and Inspiration
- Entrepreneurial Vision
- Science and Innovation