- Shri B.L. Sharma, Secretary, Women and Child Development, UT Chandigarh and Smt. Anuradha Chagti, Joint Secretary, Union Ministry of Women and Child Development on January 12, 2019 inaugurated the 6th edition of “Women of India Organic Festival” at Leisure Valley, Sector-10, Chandigarh.
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is organising the three-day Festival to celebrate and promote women farmers and entrepreneurs in the organic sector from the remotest parts of India.
- On 14 January 2019, Union Minister for Women and Child Development Smt. Maneka Gandhi, will inaugurate National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development (NIPCCD) Mohali Regional Centre in the morning.
- The festival aims to encourage Indian women entrepreneurs and farmers to connect with more buyers and thus, empower them through financial inclusion, while promoting organic culture in India. Through this festival, the Ministry also aims to educate people about its various initiatives and schemes relating to women and children.
- The Festival is showcasing over 1,000 varied organic products, including fabric, wellness, grains, seeds, jewellery, bakery items and a lot more. Visitors to the festival are also visiting the food court, which offers a wide variety of sumptuous delights.
- The Women of India Organic Festival has been held annually in New Delhi since 2015, and makes its debut in Chandigarh this year, bringing the joy of going organic to the evergreen Leisure Valley, which is a continuum of gardens, to showcase the varied products of women farmers and entrepreneurs.
- With each year, the sales and footfalls at the Organic Festival have only increased, indicating a growing interest in organic produce.