The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi on February 12, 2019 participated in Swachh Shakti- 2019, a convention of Women Sarpanches in Kurukshetra, Haryana today. He felicitated the women sarpanches from across the country with the Swachh Shakti-2019 awards.
- PM visited the Swachh Sundar Shauchalay exhibition at Kurukshetra. He inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of several development projects for Haryana. Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar and several other dignitaries were present on this occasion.
About Swachh Shakti-2019
- Swachh Shakti-2019 was a national event aimed to bring in to focus the leadership role played by rural women in Swachh Bharat Mission. Women Sarpanches and Panches from all over the country attended the event.
- The Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation in association with the Govt. of Haryana organized the Swachh Shakti-2019.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the Swachh Shakti program first in 2017 at Gandhinagar, Gujarat. 6000 women sarpanches from across the country had assembled in Gujarat on the occasion of International Women’s Day under the banner of Swachh Shakti 2017. PM addressed and honoured them.
- The second Swachh Shakti event, Swachh Shakti-2018 was held at Lucknow in Uttar Pradesh. 8000 women sarpanches, 3000 women Swachhagrahis and women champions from other walks of life from across the country were recognized for their outstanding contribution towards making a Swachh Bharat during the event.
- Swachh Shakti is an example of how at the grass root level, rural women champions are acting as a change agent to mobilize the community and lead from the front women taking initiatives for a Swachh Bharat. The movement is a part of ongoing activities under the aegis of the Swachh Bharat Mission, launched on October 2nd, 2014, by the Prime MinisterNarendra Modiaimed at achieving a Clean and Open Defecation Free (ODF) India by 2nd October, 2019.