- World Health Organization Goodwill Ambassador of the for Leprosy Elimination Yohei Sasakawa will be conferred Gandhi Peace Prize for 2018 .
- The award will be given to Mr Sasakawa in recognition of his work towards the eradication of the disease in India and across the world.
- Ekal Abhiyan Trust has been chosen for the award for the year 2017 while Akshaya Patra Foundation and Sulabh International will share the award for 2016.
- Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari bagged the award for 2015.
- Ekal Abhiyan Trust has been selected for their contribution towards providing education to rural and tribal children in remote areas, and for gender and social equality.
- Akshaya Patra Foundation will receive the prize for providing midday meals to millions of children while Sulabh International for improving the condition of sanitation and emancipation of manual scavengers.
- Vivekananda Kendra will be awarded for its contribution to rural development, education, development of natural resources.
About Gandhi Peace Prize
- Gandhi Peace Prize is announced by the Government of India. The award is given for social, economic and political transformation through non-violence and other Gandhian methods.
- Every year a five member jury chaired by the Prime Minister of India choose the winner. The jury comprises Prime Minister of India, Chief Justice of India, Leader of Opposition and two other eminent persons.
- Gandhi Peace Prize carries one crore rupees and a citation.
LIST OF AWARDEES SO FAR
- 1995: Dr.Julius K.Nyerere, former President of Tanzania
- 1996: Dr. A.T. Ariyaratne, Founder President of Sarvodaya Sharamadana Movement, Sri Lanka.
- 1997: Dr. Gerhard Fischer of Germany
- 1998: Rama Krishna Mission (India)
1999: Baba Amte (Murlidhar Devidas Amte) (India)
- 2000: Dr. Nelson Mandela and Grameen Bank of Bangladesh (jointly)
- 2001: Dr. John Hume, Ireland
- 2002: Bhartiya Vidya Bhawan
- 2003: Mr. Vaclav Havel, former President of Czechoslovakia
- 2005: Archbishop Desmond Tutu, South Africa
- 2013: Sh.Chandi Prasad Bhatt
- 2014: Indian Space Research Organisation
- 2015: Vivekananda Kendra, Kanyakumari
- 2016: Sulabh International and Akshaya Patra Foundation
- 2017: Ekal Abhiyan Trust
- 2018: Yohei Sasakawa