What: Composite Water Management Index
Who: NITI Aayog
Why: For efficient management of water resources
- Minister of Minister for Road Transport & Highways, Shipping and Water Resources Shri Nitin Gadkari, on June 14, 2018 released Composite Water Management Index (CWMI) which has been prepared by NITI Aayog.
- This index is in direction and keeping in view the criticality of water for life.
- The CWMI is an important tool to assess and improve the performance of States/ Union Territories in efficient management of water resources.
- This has been done through a first of its kind water data collection exercise in partnership with Ministry of Water Resources, Ministry of Drinking Water & Sanitation and all the States/ Union Territories.
- The report ranks Gujarat as number one in the reference year (2016-17), followed by Madhya Pradesh, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Maharashtra.
- In North Eastern and Himalayan States, Tripura has been adjudged number 1 in 2016-17 followed by Himachal Pradesh, Sikkim and Assam.
- In terms of incremental change in index (over 2015-16 level), Rajasthan holds number one position in general States and Tripura ranks at first position amongst North Eastern and Himalayan States.
- NITI Aayog proposes to publish these ranks on an annual basis in future.
About Composite Water Management Index (CWMI)
- CWMI has been developed by NITI Aayog comprising 9 broad sectors with 28 different indicators covering various aspects of ground water, restoration of water bodies, irrigation, farm practices, drinking water, policy and governance (Box-1).
- For the purposes of analysis, the reporting states were divided into two special groups – ‘North Eastern and Himalayan states’ and ‘Other States’, to account for the different hydrological conditions across these groups.
- The index would provide useful information for the States and also for the concerned Central Ministries/Departments enabling them to formulate and implement suitable strategies for better management of water resources.Simultaneously a web portal on the subject has also been launched.