The fourth edition of India International Science Festival ( IISF-2018) will be inaugurated by President of India in Lucknow on October 6, 2018. IISF-2018 is expected to be represented by approximately 10000 delegates including 5000 students, 550 teachers, 200 students from North-East Region, 20 international delegates and approximately 200 startups.
- Ministry of Science & Technology; Earth Sciences in association with Vijnana Bharti or VIBHA is organising the four-day event from 5-8 October, 2018.
- The current edition of the festival in Lucknow is a tribute to former Prime Minister Late Atal Bihari Vajpayee, who had brought Science to the centre stage of national agenda.
- It was Shri Vajpayee who had added Jai Vigyan to Lal Bahadur Shastri’s slogan of “Jai Jawan, Jai Kisan”, Dr. Vardhan said. “All stakeholders will assemble to collectively work towards Vigyan se Vikas– contributing to the Making of a New India as envisioned by Prime Minister Narendra Modi who is taking forward the legacy of late Atal Ji”, said the Union Minister.
- Theme: IISF-2018 with its focal theme “Science for Transformation” will have 23 special events.
- The Global Indian Science & Technology Stakeholders Meet (GIST), Industry Academia Meet and Science & Technology for Harnessing Innovations (SATHI) – A National startup entrepreneurship summit and Student Science Village are some of the important events, being organized. The Science Village program is linked with the Pradhan Mantri Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana to reach out to the rural masses and propagate science and for seeking scientific solutions to the diverse challenges facing our society, particularly rural India.
- As World record attempts have been a key part of IISF since 2015, in IISF 2018, a World Record attempt will be made to “isolate DNA” by 500 students from class 8th to 10th standard.
- Building Partnerships: Impacting Society is the theme for the “State S&T Ministers’ conclave”. Nav Bharat Nirman and the Science and Literary Festival are the other highlights of IISF 2018.
- This festival is expected to bring all stakeholders together to discuss the contributions of Science & Technology to the flagship programmes of the Government.
- IISF is the biggest platform in the country to bring together students, researchers, innovators, artists and general public to celebrate India’s achievements in science and technology.
- IISF is a medium to encourage the young minds towards the field of science and to promote the networking of stakeholders working towards the propagation of science.
- The first IISF was held at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) New Delhi in December, 2015. The mega S&T expo attracted more than 3 Lakh people. VIBHA ( Vijnana Bharati) has become the Guinness Book World Record Holder for the successful conduct of the ‘Largest Practical Science Lesson’ by 2000 students from prestigious schools of Delhi.
- The 2nd IISF was held at CSIR-National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi in December, 2016 with a view to improve their scientific understanding, temperament and appreciation for various feats in science & technology by showcasing Indian achievements.
- The 3rd series of IISF was held on 13-16 October 2017, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- Vijnana Bharati or VIBHA is a science movement with swadeshi spirit has a greater role to play.
- Swadeshi Science Movement was started in Indian Institite of Science- (Bengaluru) by a few eminent scientists under the guidance of Prof. K I Vasu. This movement gradually gained momentum and emerged as an organization with national presence. In 1991(Oct 20-21) at the Nagpur meet, it was decided, to launch the Swadeshi Science Movement at all India Level and named it as Vijnanabharati.
- Vijnanabharati has units in 22 states across the country and contacts in 4 states. It is working in 11 different areas through autonomous institutions, independent organizations & also as project entities.