The Central Government is implementing a Scheme namely “Scheme for Pension and Medical Aid to Artistes’ (SPMAA).
- The scheme is being run by Union Ministry of Culture.
- An amount of Rs. 42.66 Crores distributed under SPMAA Scheme during the period 2014-17
- The objectives of this Scheme is to improve financial and socio-economic status of the old aged artistes and scholars who have contributed significantly in their specialized fields of arts, letters etc. in their active age or are still contributing in the field of arts, letters etc. but leading a miserable life or are in penury condition.
- The Scheme has also provision to provide medical aid facility to such Artistes and his/her spouse by covering them under a convenient and affordable Health Insurance Scheme of the Government.
- In order to be eligible under this Scheme, personal income of the applicant artiste (including income of the spouse) must not exceed Rs.4,000/- (Rupees four thousand only) per month or annual income of Rs.48,000/- (Rupees forty eight thousand only).
- This excludes artiste pension assistance amount already getting by a beneficiary from the Government (i.e. concerned State Govt./UT Administration and/or Ministry of Culture).
- Also, the applicant artiste should not be less than 60 (sixty) years of age (this does not apply in the case of spouse) and the applicant artiste is getting pension of at least Rs.500/- per month from the concerned State Government/UT Administration.
- In the event of death of the beneficiary artiste, the financial assistance is transferred to his/her spouse.