- According to the Ministry of Women and Child Development, number of women beneficiaries under Swadhar Greh Scheme have rises to 17291 till March 9, 2018. It was 14378 in 2015-16 and 16530 in 2017-18.
About the Swadhar Greh Scheme
- The Swadhar scheme was launched by the Union Ministry of Women and Child Development in 2002 for rehabilitation of women in difficult circumstances.
- The scheme provides shelter, food, clothing and care to the marginalized women/girls who are in need.
- The beneficiaries include widows deserted by their families and relatives, women prisoners released from jail and without family support, women survivors of natural disasters, women victims of terrorist/extremist violence etc.
- The implementing agencies are mainly NGOs.
- The Ministry is also managing “Child Protection Services” wherein it provides financial assistance to the States/UTs for setting up and maintenance of various types of Child Care Institutions (CCIs).