Union Minister for Textiles Smriti Irani on January 5, 2019 inaugurated the Women’s Science Congress at the Lovely Professional University in Jalandhar.
- Women’s Science Congress is a part of of the 106th Indian Science Congress. This is the eighth chapter of the Women’s Science Congress since it started in 2012.
- The objective of the Women’s Science Congress is to showcase the work of women scientists. Many leading women scientists and distinguished women from other disciplines are participating in talks and discussions in the Congress.
- According to Union Minister Smriti Irani, women are facing serious challenges in the world of science. She lamented that only about 14% of the scientists and engineers of the total 2.8 lakh people working in Indian research institutes are women. The minister said that there is a male-bias in this field and urged women to come out of the stereotype.
Robot structure ‘Metal Magna’
- Mrs Irani unveiled the 55 feet tall Robot structure ‘Metal Magna’ at the gates of the Lovely Professional University on January 5, 2019.
- The Robot structure is made up of 25 tons of steel and was built in 2 months by 50 students from the Mechanical and Civil Engineering departments of Lovely Professional University.
About Women’s Science Congress
- The 106th Indian Science Congress is organizing Women’s Science Congress with the focal theme “Future India : Science and Technology”. This programme is intended to showcase the contribution of women in Science, Technology and the Society.
- Till recently, leading newspaper of India reports that career in Science and Technologyis mainly occupied by men. Only 14% of Indian research is contributed by women. This is alarmingly low as compared to the global average of 28.4%. Only 65% of Indian woman receives basic education.