- Ministry of Women and Child Development, In pursuance of Section 3 of the National Commission for Women Act, 1990, has nominated the following as Members of the National Commission for Women:
- Smt. Chandramukhi Devi.
- Smt. Soso Shaiza
- Smt. Kamlesh Gautam.
- They shall hold office for a period of three years or till the age of 65 years or until further orders from the date of assumption of charge of office, whichever is the earlier.
About National Commission for Women
- The National Commission for Women was set up as statutory body in January 1992 under the National Commission for Women Act, 1990 ( Act No. 20 of 1990 of Govt.of India ) to :
Review the Constitutional and Legal safeguards for women ;
Recommend remedial legislative measures ;
Facilitate redressal of grievances and
Advise the Government on all policy matters affecting women.
- NCW constitutes a Chairperson, committed to the cause of women, to be nominated by the Central Government, five Members to be nominated by the Central Government and a Member-Secretary to be nominated by the Central Government.
- Ms. Jayanti Patnaik was the first chairman of NCW and Ms. Rekha Sharma is the current chairperson of NCW.
Chairpersons of the Commission since it’s inception
|1.||Ms. Jayanti Patnaik||03.02.1992||30.01.1995|
|2.||Dr. V. Mohini Giri||21.07.1995||20.07.1998|
|3.||Ms. Vibha Parthasarathi||18.01.1999||17.01.2002|
|4.||Dr. Poornima Advani||25.01.2002||24.01.2005|
|5.||Dr. Girija Vyas||16.02.2005
|6.||Ms. Mamta Sharma||02.08.2011||01.08.2014|
|7.||Ms. Lalitha Kumaramangalam||29.09.2014||28.09.2017|
|8.||Ms. Rekha Sharma||07.08.2018||–|