Three paddy varieties of Chhattisgarh have been used for medicinal purpose for many years in the tribal region of Bastar, but now a researcher from the Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalaya (IGKV), Raipur says that Gathwan, Maharaji and Laicha varieties of rice has some anti cancer properties. According to the researcher:
- These varieties showed properties to prevent multiplication of cancer cells without affecting the normal cells.
- A further study is being carried out on these varieties under the guidance of BARC.
- Certain elements in these rice varieties not only prevented the multiplication of cancer cells but also destroyed them to a significant extent.
- BARC scientists are trying to extract the anti-cancer ingredients or elements from these varieties and conduct trials on the mouse.
- Gathwan also has the property to cure arthritis.
- Laicha has been used in treating skin-related problems by villagers in some areas.