- World Radio Day 2018 was celebrated on 13 February.
- The theme of this year’s World Radio Day was ‘Radio and Sports’ to promote the inseparable relationship between sports and gender, as well as how improved gender equality in sports broadcasting can lead to greater freedom of expression for all
- It is a day to remember the unique power of radio which touches lives and brings people together from every corner of the globe.
- The day was proclaimed on 3rd November 2011 by UNESCO’s 36th General Conference.
- On 14 January 2013, the United Nations General Assembly formally endorsed UNESCO’s proclamation of World Radio Day.
- During its 67th Session, the UN General Assembly adopted a resolution proclaiming 13 February, the day United Nations Radio was established in 1946, as World Radio Day.