Ministry of Food Processing Industries(MoFPI) has approved the operationalisation strategy for Operation Greens on November 5, 2018.
- Operation Greens was announced in the Budget speech of 2018-19 with an outlay of Rs 500 crores to stabilize the supply of Tomato, Onion and Potato(TOP) crops and to ensure availability of TOP crops throughout the country round the year without price volatility.
The strategy will comprise of a series of measures as decided by the Ministry which include:
(I) Short term Price Stabilisation Measures
NAFED will be the Nodal Agency to implement price stabilisation measures. MoFPI will provide 50% of the subsidy on the following two components:
- Transportation of Tomato Onion Potato(TOP) Crops from production to storage;
- Hiring of appropriate storage facilities for TOP Crops;
(II) Long Term Integrated value chain development projects
- Capacity Building of FPOs & their consortium
- Quality production
- Post-harvest processing facilities
- Marketing / Consumption Points
- Creation and Management of e-platform for demand and supply management of TOP Crops.
- The pattern of assistance will comprise of grants-in-aid at the rate of 50% of the eligible project cost in all areas, subject to maximum Rs. 50 crores per project. However, in case where PIA is/are FPO(s), the grant-in-aid will be at the rate of 70% of the eligible project cost in all areas, subject to maximum Rs. 50 crores per project.
- Eligible Organisation would include State Agriculture and other Marketing Federations, Farmer Producer Organizations (FPO), cooperatives, companies, Self-help groups, food processors, logistic operators, service providers, supply chain operators, retail and wholesale chains and central and state governments and their entities/organizations will be eligible to participate in the programme and to avail financial assistance.
- The applicant fulfilling the eligibility criteria under the scheme is required to submit the online application on SAMPADA portal of the ministry (https://sampada.gov.in/) attaching therewith complete documents.
The list of selected clusters is provided at Annexure-I
About Operation Greens
- In the budget speech of 2018-19, a new Scheme “Operation Greens” was announced on the line of “Operation Flood”, with an outlay of Rs.500 crore to promote Farmer Producers Organizations, agri-logistics, processing facilities and professional management.
Objectives: Major objectives of “Operation Greens” are as under:
- Enhancing value realisation of TOP farmers by targeted interventions to strengthen TOP production clusters and their FPOs, and linking/connecting them with the market.
- Price stabilisation for producers and consumers by proper production planning in the TOP clusters and introduction of dual use varieties.
- Reduction in post-harvest losses by creation of farm gate infrastructure, development of suitable agro-logistics, creation of appropriate storage capacity linking consumption centres.
- Increase in food processing capacities and value addition in TOP value chain with firm linkages with production clusters.
- Setting up of a market intelligence network to collect and collate real time data on demand and supply and price of TOP crops.
List of selected clusters
- Production cluster of Tomato:
|S.No||State||Production Cluster Area|
|1.||Andhra Pradesh||Chittoor and Anantpur (Kharif & Rabi crops)|
|2.||Karnataka||Kolar & Chikkaballapur (Kharif crop)|
|3.||Odisha||Mayurbhanj & Keonjhar (Rabi crop)|
- Production cluster of Onion:
|S.No||State||Production Cluster Area|
|1.||Maharashtra||Nasik (Rabi crop)|
|2.||Karnataka||Gadag &Dharwad (Kharif crop)|
|3.||Gujarat||Bhavnagar & Amreli|
- Production cluster of Potato
|S. No||State||Production Cluster Area|
|1.||Uttar Pradesh||(a)Agra, Firozabad, Hathras and Aligarh
(b) Farrukhabad and Kannauj
|2.||West Bengal||Hooghly and Purba Bardhaman|
|4.||Gujarat||Banaskantha and Sabarkantha|
Note: The list will be subject to revision by the Ministry based on the inputs received from the State Governments and experience gained during implementation of the project.
This list will be modified after the expiry of Model Code of Conduct by the Election Commission in the upcoming assembly elections in 5 States to held in Nov-Dec’2018.